What Causes Bed Bugs?
Emergency Call - 24/7
What are bed bugs caused by?
When asking someone ‘What causes bed bugs?’ you often get a mixed response. Many believe there is a link between hygiene and cleanliness which is not the case. Bed bugs are not attracted to dirt or grime and instead feed solely on blood which for the most part is from humans, which is why you tend to locate bed bugs close to the hosts sleeping areas.
Bed bugs are able to go without feeding for up to 12 months and can lay dormant in cracks and crevices until a host returns and there are many instances of people getting bitten that have moved into derelict property which have been empty for a long period of time. So, what causes bed bugs? The most apparent cause of bed bugs is a lack of awareness, it often takes an infestation of bed beds to occur before you realise that you have them. The more knowledge and awareness you have of bed bugs the greater chance you have of avoiding them, below is a list of things you can do:
- When staying away in a hotel or B&B, keep your luggage away from the bed, if there is a luggage rack use that.
- If you stay away inspect the area as best you can, to do this check all the cracks and crevices around the bed frame, skirting and headboard. This often will only give you an indication.
- Wash your clothes on a high heat wash when returning home, if you suspect you have stayed somewhere with bed bugs.
- When purchasing secondhand furniture inspect thoroughly against bed bugs, checking crevices for signs of bed bugs.
- Speak to Bed Bug Treatment Pros. Our phone lines are free and we have been in the business a long time. If you need help with suspected bed bugs our team is always happy to help.
Do I need a bed bug exterminator?
When we carry out bed bug heat treatments, we are often told by the customers that they wanted to see if they could get rid of the infestation themselves. From experience this is extremely difficult to do, it costs time, money and ultimately can be a very stressful experience.
Bed bugs in some areas have developed resistance to certain chemicals used to treat them, which is why heat treatment is now the preferred method of control, bed bug extermination requires specialist knowledge and equipment in order to get rid of bed bugs completely.
Check out our heat treatment page to find out more information on the services we provide.