What do bed bug bites look like?
Emergency Call - 24/7
Bed bug bites - What do they look like?
Commonly we are asked what do bed bug bites look like? The problem with bed bug bites is that they can be easily confused with other insect’s bites. Each individual that has been bitten by bug beds will react differently therefore its not always easy to know, however there are some indicators.
The main characteristics of bed bug bites are:
- A red raised itchy bump with a clear center
- A red itchy bump with a dark center and lighter swollen surrounding area.
- Small red bumps surrounded by blisters or hives.
- Any of the marks mentioned above, in areas of the skin that remain uncovered while we sleep.
- Marks following a unique pattern; clusters in a zig-zag formation or straight lines (those are typical bed bug patterns)
Living with bed bugs can cause additional stress and health complications:
- Increased risk of infection: Skin has been exposed and as bites are scratched this may lead to infections.
- Lack of sleep: Bed bugs predominately operate during the night, this additional stress may prevent you from being able to sleep.
- Mental health: A continual lack of sleep and added stress with the situation has been linked to feelings of depression, anxiety, general fatigue, and lowered immune function.
What are the symptoms of bed bug bites?
In the majority of cases symptoms occur more or less immediately after the individual has been bitten, they may develop over a few days following being bitten. Without further irritation, symptoms typically resolve within a few weeks.
As with most bites from insects there will likely be some degree of discomfort, which is typically an inflammation and / or itchiness. Other symptoms may include;
- Burning sensation around are of bites
- small red bumps or welts in a zigzag pattern or a line
- Raised itchy bump with a clear center
- small red bumps surrounded by blisters or hives.
Visual evidence of bed bugs;
- small spots of blood from bites often dried or stained onto sheets or bed clothing
- reddish or reddish-brown dried stains on fabrics due to bed bug droppings